Sunday, March 6, 2011

Teacher Talk

How do we keep ourselves positive in a world of negativity?  We've all been privy to it at some point.  It's actually really hard to stay positive at times when you feel the weight of standardized testing, no raises in sight, and increasing class sizes.  I think it's important to remind yourself why you went down the path of teaching in the first place.  When I was in college, I always thought I would be in journalism or publishing.  I worked for the PR firm at Radford and interned at a publishing company in Roanoke.  But life changed after I graduated.  I struggled to get a job, and ended up pursuing another passion - children.  I had always loved children and the positive enthusiasm they emanate as these embrace life.  Something happens as we grow older and face adversity.  Some grow and change.  Others become jaded and bitter.  Children bounce back.  Even when times are hard, demands continue to be placed, and negativity seems to swirl like clouds of dust around us, we have lessons to learn from our students.  Bounce back!  Don't give up and don't let negativity dictate your life.

1 comment:

  1. You have no idea how much I needed this blog this week. I agree, sometimes we forget. I've had such a crappy year that I've spent a lot of time reflecting on whether or not I even want to teach next year. Thank you for reminding me why I even started teaching in the first place.

    ReplyDelete