Sunday, March 20, 2011
Digital Video
Effective digital video is all about editing. You can use one scene multiple times by reinserting. You can also change the color, effects, and so much more. Now when I watch TV or a movie, I notice how much editing is involved. This is especially true in reality TV such as The Bachelor. You can really convey any message you want by splicing scenes together. But on a more serious note this is also true of our PSA. You have to use editing to create a message that makes people think.. You can add type overlay, music, thought evoking images that relate to the human experience, etc. I'm excited to see how our PSA turns out this week!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's pretty amazing. I just love the problem solving involved. The creative process of designing/planning and filming are one thing, but editing seems like the real fun. It should be a good week!
ReplyDeleteI think it's interesting that you said that you notice editing when you watch TV shows. I try to tell my students to pay attention to things like that. I tell them to try to not get so caught up in a TV show or movie that they miss the use of music. It's amazing how much music affects the whole viewing experience! I think that after my students work on their own digital video editing, what I've been trying to tell them all along will be much clearer. They will have worked on adding music, etc. themselves, so they will have a whole new perspective.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I love the look of your blog :)
Kristen,
ReplyDeleteI like your blog entry! I feel like I'm getting a nice little review of what we talked about in class last week & now it'll be easier to write mine. haha I'm excited too for our awesome future PSA! :)
Brooke brings up an excellent point! It isn't just important to teach students about camera techniques such as zoom and angle and how these techniques adds to the message. It is important to teach students about editing. Editing alters the original film and skillful editors have the ability to shape the message we see by rearranging scenes or editing them out. It is an interesting aspect of the Halo Effect. Teaching students to be good evaluators of what they are watching on TV also includes attention to how that message is presented and what might be missing, just like in interviews where words can be printed out of context.
ReplyDeleteI agree that editing is just as important as the filming, if not more! It would be interesting to take the same raw footage but edit it in two different ways to create two different look/feel/messages. Reality TV shows and tabloids are experts at this!
ReplyDeleteGreat point Kristen! Editing is so important. Can you imagine if we had film without editing...it would be pretty dull! Editing is such a key role in creating video and film. And I love how you said you can convey any message you want through editing. My roommates friend was on a famous cooking show on TV and something happened on the show. It was a huge cooking mistake that caused a lot of drama on the show. And the way the show made it seem was that the mistake was all her fault. Through editing and music, the show really built it up! After she was kicked off the show several episodes later, we found out from her, that the way the show portrayed what happened, wasn't the case at all! They simply filmed and edited to make it seem like it was her fault just to create drama! And no one would know unless they were there during the filming. So true, you can convey whatever meaning you want!
ReplyDelete