Saturday, October 17, 2009

Story elements continued

After sitting down with my tech coordinator this week, we came up with some good ideas. The first several genres, should be in the form of a reader's theatre/play. In this way the students get used to performing in front of an audience. During this time, I will have separate ongoing grammar and story element lessons. They will also practice using a word processor through a variety of writing assignments. Through daily editing practice, they will hone their revising and editing skills. After we work through a few genres, I will be more hands-off in my approach. At this point my students will know the elements of a story, have revising/editing skills, feel comfortable performing in front of an audience, and be able to use a word processor. It is only then, that they will be able to work more independently on this project. My tech coordinator is even looking into our various video editing programs, U-Lead and Photostory, to see if the students can gain the rights to edit their own videos. Since this is just a fledgling idea, it may be grandiose to say that we will have a performance for every genre. I will just have to live what I learn through this experience.

1 comment:

  1. I love the way you began with an idea; worked with your tech coordinator; and now have a plan for how to implement this idea in your classroom!

    So is the ultimate technology goal for students to be able to create a script together using Word?

    I hope you are able to pursue the videotaping portion. If students are the ones to do the editing, they will be learning those skills. And, they will enjoy having a copy of their presentation to take home.

    Since we are learning about databases in class, they are on my mind right now......I wonder if you could create a database of scripts you create? Just thinking about this!

    ReplyDelete