Monday, September 14, 2009

Exploring the five senses

Today in my third grade class, I began my instruction with a lesson on the fives senses. I read a book about the fives senses, completed a graphic organizer to recap what we learned, and interwove this lesson to language arts and science throughout the day! In LA we created an advertisement for a story they partner read called Cliff Hanger. In order for my students to paint a vivid picture, they have to live through their experiences using their senses. My students were able to grasp each concept from a new perspective after awakening the use of their senses. During our science experiment and ad creation, I could see my students becoming alive with curious questions.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kristen -

    This sounds like it was a great day in third grade. So I'm wondering if this is a different way of teaching for you? Did you design your day differently? Did you design your lesson differently?

    Why did your students come alive during the science experiment and ad creation? I'm wondering if they made the connection that you had focused on the five senses throughout the day. I'd love to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, yes. I'm teaching on a new team this year and that, along with this program, is really opening me up to a whole new mode of thought on teaching and education. Also, being able to work with a new crop of teachers is refreshing! My students did make the connection between the five senses across the curriculum and that really excited me as this will my theme for the year.

    ReplyDelete